RollerTrol?

Building and connecting hardware to OpenNethome
Mastiff

RollerTrol?

Post by Mastiff »

Hi! I am using OpenNethome as an alternative (and much, much better) way of sending Telldus Tellstick Duo messages to EventGhost, with Krambriw's very nice plugin. I really need it too, because there is some strange voodoo going on in my cabin that means that Nexa wall switches have a rather short range, both to my RFXtrx and to their paired units (light control, home theater (or cabin theater), other audio and video). With the RFX in the technical room and the Tellstick on a TP Link USB server in the opposite side of the cabin, in the kitchen area, it works. Except for one thing: The RFX only manages to open 7 of 9 blinds in the kitchen/living room. The two closest to the Tellstick is a no go. So I was wondering if it was possible to add support for RollerTrol blinds to OpenNethome, since there is support in the Telldus Center I know it should be possible. It would really finish of the system here for me! :D
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Re: RollerTrol?

Post by stefangsbb »

Hi Mastiff
Adding new wireless protocols to NetHome is definitely possible, and it is possible to add them as "plugins" without having to build the whole application. It is not super simple though, and it usually requires access to the devices you add support for in order to reverse engineer the protocol and write and test your own drivers. I have had a few cases where other people have supplied new protocol drivers, but I have written almost all of the current ones. I don't think I will be able to write those drivers without the equipment. But, I will actually go and look for electric blinds for my apartment tomorrow, so who knows, I may end up with RollerTrol, and then I will definitely write the drivers...
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Well, unfortunately I couldn't code myself out of a brown paper bag... :lol: I don't know where you live, but if you live near an IKEA I have used the Tupplur blinds. They do need a bit of TLC to work, though. You can take the black plastic end of the original spring mechanism and use that ouside the roller of the RollerTrol, and then you'll have to use a meter or so of black electrical tape in the other end. The RollerTrol are a bit smaller than the Tupplurs.

The guys at RollerTrol are very nice, I'm sure they will give you any information you need about the protocol. I did a group buy one and a half year ago, and we got great service. As for testing I would of course be more than willing to do anything you need. I can also lend you a remote for RollerTrol that could maybe help. Just about everything really, I would so very much like this. :) And if you have an RFXtrx or Telldus I can send you working blinds codes for use in EventGhost.
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Several possibilities:
- Send remote control to Stefan
- I can provide a recording from the protocol analyzer when sending RollerTrol commands from RFXtrx
- Stefan can send RollerTrol commands from Telldus Center with his TellStick Duo himself and capture with Protocol Analyzer
- Contacting RollerTrol to get api/protocol documents...

BTW Regarding improving range for both receiving and transmitting, check out this!
http://www.telldus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5008
I am tempted to build one myself just to see what difference it makes. Maybe something for your cabin? Just remember it might not be legal in your country...
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Or forgot expensive products which you need buy, AND diy that your self :D , example this kinda steppers http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-DC-5V-Steppe ... 1349227311
you can direct control raspberry pi gpio pin. ofc not yet tested if there is power to run , if not need buy bigger stepper motor.
This was my project list too , I hate when summer time sunlight not give me sleep well and want nethome wake me up , and drive curtains up when time is ready. Same mechanize you can use to control example window opener. Ofc if you already has modules then need hackup interface. if protoc hack go too hard allways you can hack that remote , solder wires up and down buttons and control them raspberry pi gpio pins ,
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

So, I have been at a big store selling blinds today and asked about motorized shades, the kind you mount between the glasses in the window. Unfortunately it seems like that is going to be VERY expensive. They use Somfy motors. I am waiting for a quote from them now, but I have a feeling I am going to drop of my chair when I see the prize. Apparently it is a lot cheaper to use the kind of roller blinds you mount on the wall inside the windows, but that will crush the plants in the window... Oh well.

Regarding RollerTrol, I did at least write to them today and ask for specs for their RF protocol, let's see if they answer.
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Thanks Stefan , that I call awesome service.
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Somfy? Man, you're richer than me... ;) But seriously, I am very satisfied with my RollerTrols. I have them on 10 windows and one terrace door in my cabin, no problems. The nicest thing is that they are pretty cheap, as are the Tupplur blinds. Oh, I really appreciate you writing RollerTrol, I'm sure Adrian will answer you as soon as he can. Let me know if he's slow, and I'll try to chase him from my side as well! :lol:
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Well, we will see. As I said, I have not received the quote yet. I have a strong feeling it is going to be too expensive...

Mean while, you don't have to chase Adrian. He answered my mail within a few hours and he had looked through the OpenNetHome project. RollerTrol apparently have a very positive policy towards open source projects and Adrian have sent me a lot of information. They have even already shipped some hardware to me for testing, so now I really HAVE to implement support for it ;-).
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Great, man! Doesn't surprise me one bit! Typical of their style. :)