Feature request: Logging generic data (via MQTT too!)

Functionality and usage of the OpenNethome Server
mikkot

Feature request: Logging generic data (via MQTT too!)

Post by mikkot »

Hi,

My second hope (please advice me if this is already possible)

I'd like to log generic data (that I currently read from MQTT broker). E.g. water consumption, power consumption, electricy consumption, wind speed, wind direction, garage door position... You name it (and that's the whole idea :D ).

I'd like to set the value quantity symbols/text (Celcius, Watts, etc etc) myself as well as the value ranges and possible values. E.g. for wind direction all N,E,S,W,NE,SE,SW,NW.

MQTT is the thing today, so hopefully this could be something supporting it.

BR,
Mikko
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Logging generic data (via MQTT too!)

Post by stefangsbb »

Well, that was a lot of wishes at once! You cannot do all of the stuff you wanted in OpenNethome (yet), but some of it you can. Jocke and Patrik contributed Home Items to read and log thermometer and hygrometer values from any MQTT-Topic, so that part is covered. There is however no generic Item where you yourself can specify units, type and so on. Now that I think about it, it would probably be possible to write such a generic Item but I (and no one else) has implemented it yet...
mikkot

Re: Feature request: Logging generic data (via MQTT too!)

Post by mikkot »

Tanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm actually using the hygrometer as a "generic logger" when the values are numbers. It's working fine, just that it shows the '%' as the unit. Not a big deal. E.g. my electricity consumption is logged with this (via MQTT).

I'm patient, so I can wait :)

-Mikko-