Recieving stops

Functionality and usage of the OpenNethome Server
weekendowel

Recieving stops

Post by weekendowel »

I have a very strange phenomenon with a Tellstick duo. After a few days of running nethomeserver it stops recieving temperature values from all my sensors. Controlling power outlets still works fine from the webinterface. Any idea what this can be? Where can I start looking for the fault?

I tried this in a raspberry and then moved everything to a PC running debian instead with same config but still same issue, recieving stops. Sometimes a reboot is enough, sometimes several reboots is needed to get it running again....
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Re: Recieving stops

Post by stefangsbb »

Very annoying! I have not heard anyone else report a similar issue. Does it say anything in the logs? If you just restart the Nethome Service, does that resolve the issue?
weekendowel

Post by weekendowel »

Nothing in the logs. The strange thing is that sometimes just a simple restart of the service is ok, sometimes I have to do several reboots until I get it working again. I am suspecting that something is wrong with the serial connection, maybe my tellstick duo is malfunctioning. Is there a way to activate a debug logging in Nethome Service?
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

To activate debug logging, create a DebugManager-Item and set LoggerContext to "nu.nethome.home.items" and level to "FINEST" - Apply the settings and then press the "ApplyLogLevel"-action. Since the problem is that something stops coming, I doubt that it will help very much though...
Laffen

Post by Laffen »

i have a similarproblem where my tellstick drops out. My log shows this message--
17.08.15 17:28:18 Tellstick failed to open serial port to Tellstick: /dev/ttyUSB1
17.08.15 17:28:18 TellstickPort$SerialDevice Failed to find COM Port: /dev/ttyUSB1
I have used Opennethome before and then it ran for months without any supervision. After upgrading it stops after 10-15 min..
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Hmm this sounds like a slightly different problem - it seams like your serial port disappears after a while?! When this happens, can you still see the /dev/ttyUSB1-file or is it gone?

You do not see this log just after you started, but after 10-15 minutes?
Laffen

Post by Laffen »

Maybe you are right, when I try to reconnect it cant find a usb port. ONH only shows port14 when reconecting/reconfigure.
I upgraded the firmware on the tellstick yeasterday and now it has been "online" for over12 hours. ( My outdoor lights where turned off in the morning by ONH)
If there is a USB connectivity issue, how do I check that? ( Im not very familiar with using linux commands so be patient please)
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Well, I don't think Linux commands will help in this case. This might actually be due to a flakey USB-connector (oxide?) or hardware issue in the device. In my experience it is seldom SW problems when USB-connections "disappear" like that.

Out of curiosity, where did you find the firmware update for the Tellstick? They are a bit hard to find I think...
Laffen

Post by Laffen »

Hi, when I came home from work yeasterday the tellstick was not found by the ONH again. I tried several times to reconnect, but it didn't reconnect at all. My usb keyboard and mouse works flawless on the rpi3. I also did a meassurement of the power consumption for the Pi since there is known issues about usb droput with under powered PI's. I meassured the Rpi3 to use about 0,4A with a input voltage of 5,04v.(wifi off)
No solution found so I changed back to my old Rpi2 ( that i know is in working order and used the sd card from the rpi3).
Soon the ONH has been idle for 24h without any dropouts on the rpi2 ( I used the temperature log to check how often the temperature is updated).

Firmware for the telldus duo I found at telldus deveolper page ( se link below). Had to install telldus live before it would work. I also had to change my wifi connection om my win7 laptop to my main router in the house for the sw to "find" the telldus unit.

http://developer.telldus.se/wiki/Firmware

This is a little bit off topic, but is there somehow to make a backup of the ONH settings? My sd card will sooner or later die and then I have to start from scratch again. If I have a "copy" of my working settings I just have to swap sd card and everything works again..
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Hmm, if the problem still is that the serial port "disappear", it is not much the NetHome server can do about that. If it even disappears as device in Linux, it must be an issue between the Tellstick and the RPI.

I guess you could try to make sure you have the latest patches for your Raspian Linux by running:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Regarding the backup, I have sort of the same problem, and I am actually working on a general solution for that...