Oregon WGR800

Building and connecting hardware to OpenNethome
Mastiff

Re: Oregon WGR800

Post by Mastiff »

Finally found it! :mrgreen: I can now tell you that North-Northeast is 15. But I do have a problem: There is no option to create a wind sensor even with the info. When I click on create and chose the thermometer, I can not save the name either. I just get "New Item 2", and save settings and activate does nothing. But at least you have something about the direction now! I think "average wind 109" means 10.9 out here. But the event log doesn't show the full line, see screen shot.

Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

I wondered why there were no more updates, turns out that since I haven't managed to add it proper, it just makes a new log entry each time it comes in. So it comes in every couple of minutes, and NNW is direction one. So I'm guessing that North may be 0, and then it goes up the scale.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Ok, I had guessed that the wind direction was encoded like that, the only difference is that I chanced on that they would count "clockwise" - and they did not. I have corrected that now in the nightly build.

You should really be able to create an OregonWind-item if you have upgraded to the nightly build. Try to create one manually via the Create/Edit-screen and give it ID 23 and channel 0 and a nice name (not "New Item2" which is probably taken already). Then I would guess that you should start to see wind measurements...
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Oops... Suddenly found out what I had done wrong: I had unzipped the nightly build without using any directories, so everything was just dumped into the main directory. :oops: So that's why I couldn't see the Oregon wind sensor. Now I have done it correctly , but now it doesn't see my wind sensor at all! :o I see my fine offset thermometers, and I see the two Oregon thermometers/hygrometers I have running, but the wind sensor just doesn't appear! Any idea what that can be? I unpacked the nightly build to a fresh directory, and then I copied my default.xml over to there. In the log it says I'm running 2.1-SNAPSHOT-9ad63. That is the correct build, right?

Edit: Finally got it working, thanks! :mrgreen: I had to do a full restart of the virtual machine that runs my setup, and suddenly the wind popped in. :mrgreen: But I'm afraid you have a slight error there: It shows a tenth of the correct wind speed. So it shows 0,6 m/s while it should have been 6. This goes for both wind (which is actually the gusts) and average wind.

Edit 2: For some reason the wind sensor creates a new item in the log (when I want to create something new), even if it says excisting. Other sensors are only mentioned once in the log and after that only the time since the last action is changed.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Success!!! Great that it is working! The problem with the tenth of the value you can actually fix directly. The "K"-parameter in the Item is the value used to convert the raw value from the sensor to the presented value, so if you change that from "0.01" to "0.1" it should be correct. I have made them configurable, so you can adjust the sensor values.
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Cool, thanks! Another thing: Where do I see the wind direction? I see it in the log, but it isn't in the All Items/Gauges view.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

You should be able to see the direction on the details page of the Item (where you see the average wind, sensor model and so on).
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Yeah, I do. I just thought it was possible to see it in the GUI, but no biggie for me. :mrgreen: