Nethome + z wave?

Building and connecting hardware to OpenNethome
Nasty76

Nethome + z wave?

Post by Nasty76 »

Hey , i find intresting items in clash ohlson, they get z wave products so i wanna ask , how hard is implement z-wave items in nethome?
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Re: Nethome + z wave?

Post by stefangsbb »

Well, it is actually not super simple. The biggest problem is finding a z-wave interface to plug into the computer with good open API:s available.

I have had plans to add z-wave support as the next generation interface, but lately I have hesitated a bit… Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth Smart) is sailing up as a strong contender as next generation low cost home control protocol. It is actually less suited technically for the job as it lacks the mesh net infrastructure that z-wave has, but the fact that the protocol is built in to all modern phones is going to bring an avalanche of cheap cool remote controlled gadgets like switches, sensors and so on which would be really nice to be able to access from NetHome…

Ideally I would implement both of course, but my available “hobby time” is somewhat limited, so I will have to choose, at least which one I do first. Any input regarding the choice would actually be welcome!

/Stefan
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Yeah u are correct and I understand if make nethome alone time is expensive :D.
I think something like this in z wave gateway but no idea how make lamp etc plugins in nethome.
z wave raspi gateway. http://razberry.z-wave.me/index.php?id=9
rest

Post by rest »

In the nightly build I can find som z-wave options. Which hardware is it build for? I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with Tellstick duo right now.
Raspberry PI 2 and Tellstick Duo
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Well, yes - I am working with a Z-Wave integration but it is really work in progress. I have realized it will be quite a lot of work and I am not even sure I will be able to make it, but I am exploring it right now at least.It should work with most of the available Z-Wave interfaces including Razberry. It is a bit too early to start using the Items, because interfaces and Items may still move around a bit. I will write more about it on the forum and the blog when it stabilizes a bit.
Eriond

Post by Eriond »

+1 for me. I just ordered a razberry card for my cottage, just in case there will be ZWave support in the future ;)
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence! :D
I am actually having a dialog with Z-Wave alliance trying to get some support or documentation, so I will see how that works out. Right now you can only create a ZWaveController and a ZWaveCommandPort and have a command line access to Z-Wave devices (see https://github.com/NetHome/ZWave) for some sketch-like documentation of the interface. I will be adding more support step by step...
rest

Post by rest »

Hello!

I know you want to be hardware but this one seems to be a nice solution with the RPi.

http://razberry.z-wave.me/

/Reik
Raspberry PI 2 and Tellstick Duo
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

The solution I am working with works with the razberry board, but it also works with some USB-sticks that are actually cheaper...
Jocke.g

Post by Jocke.g »

Hello,

I have started to loook at z-wave too (razberry), mostly because it is a more robust solution. So I just wonder, is there any progress? Can we help with beta testing?

Are you using the api of z-way, so if I buy some hardware and use z-way app for start, then suddenly in a nightly build of opennethome, I can add my hardware? Or is it like telldus-core, can not be installed on the same device.

//Jocke