Anyone running NetHomeServer with Tellstick on Ubuntu Server?

Installation of OpenNethome Server and drivers
goranem

Re: Anyone running NetHomeServer with Tellstick on Ubuntu Server?

Post by goranem »

Thanks, that's a good description for adding the lamps.

I will consider improving the antenna according to your instruction, but that shouldn't be the problem for my temperature and humidity sensors since they are found in Telldus Center. How to make a plugin for a thermometer? Is there a guide somewhere? I don't mind if it requires some programming, but without a guide I guess it will be difficult.

Are there some guides or a How-To for Nethome? I have been looking for a generat "get started"-description, but I haven't found anything that gives a good guide for a beginnner.
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Um sorry im not nethome developer :D so not sure how that receiver plugin work , I have make some plugins my self. Maybe Stefan who make nethome can answer that , and not sure not good tutorial how to start , ofc I have soon use 2 years nethome so I can give some tips , but my English some time suck cos not talk English for native , I m from finland , so my English is something I l biii bÄck :P . but if you look that nethome create /edit settings there not come any events, your thermometers?.
btw when you look tellstick settings in nethome , there you see some events what tellstick capture or send do you enable them all ?
if you know how code there is some examples in nethome plugin example folder.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Oops... Well, you are totally right goranem, OpenNetHome really lacks a good beginners guide. I have been thinking about recording a few short introduction films on how to make basic configurations of Tellstick and switches, but I have not had the time yet... If you have some good tips on what kind of material/information would help when starting to use OpenNetHome, it would be appreciated!

Regarding support for thermometers, OpenNetHome supports many of the popular sensors, but there are still some holes in the support. Which sensors are you using that are not received?

It is possible to write your own decoders and plug them in, but again I have no good instructions on how to do that yet. Basically the Tellstick sends a HEX string with the raw binary data from the sensor. Then you have to write a decoder for that (like https://github.com/NetHome/Coders/blob/ ... coder.java) and then plug that in to the TellstickItem via an adaptor like (https://github.com/NetHome/NetHomeServe ... eiver.java).

If you like I could give more detailed instructions or perhaps help you to implement it. Usually I need to have the sensor myself to be able to implement a decoder...

/Stefan
goranem

Post by goranem »

The thermometer that is working is a UPM device, but the other ones are different and the newest I bought because I planned to use with Tellstick is from Proove (http://www.netonnet.se/art/koppla-och-a ... 3474.6575/). Several of them are working in Telldus center as I mentioned. Is there a way to see the raw hex string that is received from this sensor when it's not found by OpenNetHome? If I could see that and get some help I guess I should be able to do some coding when time permits :)

Regarding instructions I think it would be very good to have short tutorial for what steps to take when building something like the demo setup that is included. After some testing I guess the sequence should be to start with a location for the houses, then the rooms (or floors first if the house has more than one floor) and after that it should be ok to start adding the lamps and other devices. Then there are lots of items that I have no idea what they do. I guess it will be more obvious when adding and trying to setup but I haven't had the time yet. Now I can at least manually control my lamps and they are grouped by which room they are in. I still didn't get to setting up a timer, but I guess that shouldn't be too difficult. Of course it would have been easier if all items had a description in the wiki....

I would also like the tutorial/guide to cover different tasks that one would like to do and how to do it. Just one example could be setting up a set of lamps controlled by a timer that is adjusted to the time of the sunrise. I can try to consider what other tasks I would have liked to see in a guide. Personally I prefer a written guide to a film since it is easier to follow and do the steps, but I guess not everyone is like that.

I think from the testing so far that OpenNetHome is a really nice software and I think it deserves a large user base, but the documentation and guides for beginners must be improved in order to get there. I haven't got a lot of time to spare because of work and family, but with time permitting I could try to help a bit on the documentation as soon as I have understood myself what to do :D

/Göran
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

If you want to see the strings from Tellstick, you can create a DebugManager-Item. Set the LoggerContext to "nu.nethome.home.items.tellstick", and the WantedLogLevel to "Fine" and press Apply. After that you select "ApplyLogLevel".

After that, the messages from Tellstick start to appear in the log (the link on the top right corner). To turn it off, you set the log level to

It is probably easier to do the tutorials as you said. I will start trying to do one or two to get some feedback. You gave me some good ideas of what to include there - thanks!
goranem

Post by goranem »

Now I have finally got the time to start analyzing the info from the temperature sensor. I have found that the temperature and humidity is given as BCD as follows:

Hex string 4870C82CB5
Nibble/Value
1 4
2 8
3 7
4 0
5 C
6 8
7 2
8 C
9 B
10 5

Nibbles 5 and 6: C8 =200 or 20.0C
Nibbles 7 and 8: 2C= 44 or 44%RH

I have also noted that NetHome identifies this in the log as the FineOffset protocol and I could see that there exists a decoder for FineOffset, but I don't know how to use it. Is it just something I need to activate?

Another issues that is not related to this. I have changed to using Raspberry now for OpenNetHome and control of the lamps is working well, but the time used by OpenNetHome is 1 hour offset (UTC instead of Timezone for Sweden). In the terminal I get the correct time when I type date, but not in OpenNetHome. It is also one hour offset in the log file.

/Göran
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Hmm not sure how nethome give wrong time if pi give data command to correct time. Ofc u can adjust again time zone console sudo tzselect
and select correct time zone .