Anyone running NetHomeServer with Tellstick on Ubuntu Server?

Installation of OpenNethome Server and drivers
goranem

Anyone running NetHomeServer with Tellstick on Ubuntu Server?

Post by goranem »

I'm trying to get NetHomeServer to work with a Tellstick Duo on Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 I don't know if I have missed something fundamental but I can't get it to work. Java version is 1.7.0_65.

I have done the driver installation and I can see in dmesg that the Tellstick is found as ttyUSB0. When I start HomeServer64.sh I can access the GUI interface in the web browser. So far everything seems fine. My guess is that I need to add the item Tellstick and when I do that and select ttyUSB0 I get a crash.

This is the output from Java/HomeManager when it crashes.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fc604425462, pid=12351, tid=140488453834496
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (7.0_65-b32) (build 1.7.0_65-b32)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (24.65-b04 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Derivative: IcedTea 2.5.3
# Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, package 7u71-2.5.3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
# Problematic frame:
# C [librxtxSerial.so+0x6462] read_byte_array+0x52
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/ge/NetHomeServer/lib/hs_err_pid12351.log
RXTX fhs_lock() Error: creating lock file: /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0: Filen existerar
RXTX fhs_lock() Error: creating lock file: /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0: Filen existerar
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please include
# instructions on how to reproduce the bug and visit:
# http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted (core dumped)

I have removed the lock file manually and when I start HomeManager it crashes immediately without that message. As soon as I remove the Tellstick from default.xml I can start it again.

Am I missing something?

My Linux experience is not so strong, and I hope that there is something basic that I have missed.

/Göran
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Re: Anyone running NetHomeServer with Tellstick on Ubuntu Server?

Post by stefangsbb »

I am running my NetHome on an Ubuntu server. I currently don't use Tellstick on it, but I use other serial port devices using RxTx, which it seems causes your problems. One difference is that I use Oracle's Java (Hot spot) instead of OpenJDK, so it might be worth trying that instead.
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

I have test that and get crash if i have telldus installed my ubuntu without telldus software all work ok.
i can test this later tonight with ubuntu 14.04 tls 64 bit and see if tellstick working
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Oh my I have not this moment native Ubuntu machine but trying run nethome with VMware esxi and virtual machine Ubuntu 14.04 server
I get default java same error and oracle java give me this too.

Code: Select all

[/JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_31-b13) (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.31-b07 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [librxtxSerial.so+0x6462]  read_byte_array+0x52
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/nasty/nethomeservernightly/lib/hs_err_pid11765.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
code]

umh I see google something similar when try google problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-7/+bug/894718
goranem

Post by goranem »

Thanks for your replies!

So what I understand from the tests made by nasty, this is a bug in the Java implementation on Ubuntu. I guess that means that at the moment there is no meaning to spend any more time trying to get this to work until a fix has been made in Ubuntu. Am I correct?

I guess it will be easier to just use a Raspberry for now.
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Well i can recommend rasberry to nethome. That is solid machine to run nethome. Small fanless and not need much power. And take nethome conf file backup sometimes easy to fix if SD card has mess after power failure. I have run almost 2 year nethome with pi and not recommend other machine to run nethome. What that problem come there is maybe fix which make new working so file I can lol that later night.
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

Problem solved , I install new esxi server , old was low memory , install clean Ubuntu 14.04 server then install tellstick etc.
after that replace nethome file /nethome_unzipped_folder/os/librxtxSerial_x86_64.so with this file http://jlog.org/v4/linux/x86_64-unknown ... xSerial.so ofc mv or copy that downloaded file same name which orginal was so downloaded file need be named = librxtxSerial_x86_64.so
I think Stefan see this and change that file in default packake but this is nice fix now.
So my tellstick work even esxi server usb passthrough mode :D which is nice to know tooo :P
Oh forgot java was installed like this say http://tecadmin.net/install-oracle-java ... u-via-ppa/
easy and fast and no need adjust java and javac paths manualy. Hope this help
goranem

Post by goranem »

Great! :D
That did solve the problem with the crash for me, but I still get the error code about existing lock file though. I don't know if that is a problem for the function.

Now I can add the Tellstick. I have also managed to get an event from a thermometer, but not from all of the sensors I have. I guess this means that the Tellstick is connected properly. The next problem I have is that I can't get it to control any of my Nexa receivers. I have tried to add Nexa Lamp and input the house and unit info that works with Telldus center (on another computer but in the same location).

My two questions now are:

1. Can I get my other sensors (that works in Telldus Center) to connect to HomeServer?

2. How should I add the Nexa recievers to get them to work?
goranem

Post by goranem »

Ok, after some more testing I found that I could "teach" HomeServer the addresses for my receivers with the help from the remote. It's strange that I couldn't add them manually though. That means problem 2 is solved. I'm still curious to find out if there is a way to add a temperature and humidity sensor from another brand than UPM.
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

nexa receivers you need make correct lamp item , then give address code and button in lamp.
after that push you receiver pairing button and hit on in nethome , if module not pairing use repeat command in nethome lamp item example 20 and try pairing again , after pairing you can adjust repeats 4-10 depend how far receiver is tellstick.

Simple nethome idea is.
OUTPUT => lamps
INPUTS => Remapbutton functions
you can think nethome outputs like big remote control , modules see nethome as remote control.
if you look nethome create/edit window down there is received events if you thermometer show there you can add that there. if not nethome not regonize temp sensor and need make correct plugin to nethome.
Btw tellstick has little poor antenna in box i modified my antenna better , open orginal plastic antenna tubing and there is solder joint , remove orginal spiral wire and replace that normal wire what i get old electric cord :D . measure antenna lenght as whole lenght is approx 17,3cm this make my tellstick much longer range to use modules.