RollerTrol?

Building and connecting hardware to OpenNethome
krambriw

Re: RollerTrol?

Post by krambriw »

Yes I see

However, I am also running the newest nightly build and here it works just as before + RollerTrol. I have it on a RPi so I just upgraded with an upgrade script that is available (at least for the Linux environment)

So it must be something in your setup I believe....but what? I am sure you have the same config?
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Well, I just unziped the nightly build zip file to a new directory and copied that into the original directory (after taking that copy), overwriting everythign in there, like I've done every time so far. Earlier that hasn't created any problems.
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Just a little pre-view with EventGhost recieving RollerTrol events as well as sending command

stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Ok Mastiff

I downloaded the nightly build on a Windows 7 machine with a Tellstick, and used your configuration file. Actually, that configuration file was a bit strange from the beginning, had a hyphen (-) in front of all elements, like: -<HomeItem> and so on, so I had to remove that (might have been caused by pasting the file into a message).

When I started I actually had the same behavior as you describe, and the reason was that there are spaces after each protocol name in your Tellstick-Item. ReceivedProtocols were: "UPM ,RollerTrol ,Nexa ,FineOffset ,NexaL ,Oregon" and that does not work, since the spaces count. I changed it to "UPM,RollerTrol,Nexa,FineOffset,NexaL,Oregon" and then it stared to work. I do not quite understand how they got there? Maybe that was also caused by the copy paste, but it gave the symptoms you describe, so it could be your problem.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Walter, I put the RollerTrol in the hardware category mainly because I am lazy... ;) Otherwise I will have to draw a new Icon of a new category and that is kind of painful (I am not really an artist). But I guess you are right, it does not really belong in the Hardware categoy, but the question is what category it belongs to? "Devices" would work, but it almost feels a bit too generic? "Blinds" would be a bit too specific. Perhaps "Appliances" ? (even if it is impossible to spell)
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

:) Understand,

But 'Appliances' I think is a good suggestion if you are not thinking to expand it further, then you should simply have all three: 'Blinds', 'Shutters' and 'Awnings'

Best regards,
Walter
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

@Mastiff,

The pre-version of the EG plugin is uploaded. it would be interesting to hear if it works both ways (receiving events and sending commands)
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Stefan, it wasn't in the copying, I had the same stuff in the file in my RollerTrol version. But not in the original version, and that was a backup copy taken just before I installed the new version. So it seems the new version messes up the XML in some way, but probably under special cirtumstances that I only have on my computer. I may have buried a cat on a Thursday night, or something... Only removing the extra spaces with a search replace in Notepad++ didn't help, but copying the old file over made stuff come in again! :mrgreen: So the file must have been garbled in some way the first time I ran that nightly build.

Then I activated the RollerTrol receive and transmit, and no RollerTrol signals (sent by the RfXtrx since I'm physically two hours away from the cabin) appeared in the ONH log window. Tried a restart of ONH, and back to square one. It doesn't receive any events at all. Something happens that messes up the XML file when I activate RollerTrol and then restart ONH, it seems like it's reproduceable too.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Ok, I think I may have found the issue. It has nothing to do with the latest build - it is a browser issue. I really seriously HATE InternetExplorer, it has burned hours of my life.

When you use the "..."-button to configure protocols with Internet Explorer, and extra space is added after each protocol name, which makes it stop working.

So, suggested short term solution 1: Use a real browser, Chrome, Firefox ANYTHING other than IE. If that is not acceptable, just manually remove the spaces before each comma and save the Tellstick Item.

Hope this helps.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

@Walter
Ok, Appliances it is. Then comes the hard question - how does the Icon look? The first thing that popped up in my mind was a toaster, so I may go with that, it should be fairly easy to draw. Another possibility would be a TV perhaps?