RollerTrol?

Building and connecting hardware to OpenNethome
Mastiff

Re: RollerTrol?

Post by Mastiff »

That sounded very cool, thanks! :) I'm going back to the cabin in a week or so, I'll play with that then (and measure the time for each blind). I'm planning to make it into a wave, where I start the first blind and then the next and so on, so that each of them start when the previous one is 1/3 of the way. Not for any good reason, just because I figured it could be cool! Is that something that this function could be used for?
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

I think the best way to get the wave effect, would be to use the Scene-Item and set the delay to the time it takes to travel A third Of the distance.
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Thanks! That is very possible. I'll have a look at it when I get there. :mrgreen:
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Now I think I have finished the RollerTrol Item. I added a Toggle-function (goes up if it is down and vice versa) and made a new category called "Actuators" which it belongs to. Actuators have an icon with two coggwheels.

@Walter, Since the toaster did not really fly, I went with actuators instead and I think that works ok. I also fixed the category on RisingSunLamp...
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Perfect, now it looks very good

'Actuators' is a good choice, icon is fine (there is a motor and most likely a gearbox in all of such things)

All changes implemented in my EG plugin, it works fine now

Especially impressed that you managed to migrate my configuration so that RollerTrols already defined as 'Hardware' became 'Actuators' ;)
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Mastiff wrote:Well, unfortunately I couldn't code myself out of a brown paper bag... :lol: I don't know where you live, but if you live near an IKEA I have used the Tupplur blinds. They do need a bit of TLC to work, though. You can take the black plastic end of the original spring mechanism and use that ouside the roller of the RollerTrol, and then you'll have to use a meter or so of black electrical tape in the other end. The RollerTrol are a bit smaller than the Tupplurs. ...
@Mastiff
I am now about to install a RollerTrol in a Tupplur blind myself, but I need a little tip. Using the plastic end on the roller works fine, and using a rubber band I can fit the other end nicely, but the problem is on the "crown" end of the tubular motor. Near the outer end on the motor, there is a rotating "ring" that is supposed to fit in the tube and carry a lot of the weight of the blind. This is also too small (of course), but there it is a bit harder to fix, since the ring is quite narrow. How did you solve that part?
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Yeah, I did fiddle a bit with that before the stroke of genius hit me! Do you live close to a Biltema? :mrgreen: For some reason I have it in my head that you may be from Sweden! I used an O-ring, I belive the correct size was this one:

http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bygg/Fasteleme ... rtId=86559

That's a 13/16" x 1 1/16". If you don't have Biltema there, you can try another shop of the same type. It's a standard size O-ring used for many purposes in cars and boats.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

That is brilliant! I have been thinking of all kinds of solutions with sawed of pipe pieces, rubber bands or other stuff, but an o-ring must be perfect if you find the right size! Thanks a lot! (And yes, I do live in Sweden, so I will make a Biltema-trip this weekend :D )
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

I'm a regular MacGyver at times! ;) Much of my house and cabin shows unusual and creative solutions, and most of them actually work! Not all of them, of course... :lol:
lassiko

Post by lassiko »

I only now found this topic, and this seems to be exactly what i need for my home theater room. Can some one list down that what and from where (if i have missed some) i should order items to get this working?

Is it only option to order Rollertrol from USA? If so, what was the price delivered after all custom fees etc?

Thanks.

/lassi