Oregon WGR800

Building and connecting hardware to OpenNethome
Mastiff

Oregon WGR800

Post by Mastiff »

Hi!
I was trying to get the wind sensor in through the Tellstick on ONH, and it doesn't seem like ONH sees it. I read in a year old blog post that it should support it, at least theoretically, but I don't see any events from it even if the RFXtrx on EventGhost sees it, and my wind sensor is closer to the Tellstick. I see that Tellstick does support it. I have the latest nightly build, and I see my Oregon temp sensors, but nothing from that wind sensor. Is it possible for me to get this working?
krambriw

Re: Oregon WGR800

Post by krambriw »

I assume you have updated the TellStick with the latest FW?
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

I guess that is the difference between theory and reality... :-)

It is very difficult to really get things working without the real hardware. Another factor is that when you go via Tellstick, the Tellstick will make its own interpretation of the signal... If you can send me the output that Tellstick sends, maybe I can get it to work. To see the Tellstick messages, you have to enable debug for that. To do that you create a DebugManager-Item. Set the LoggerContext to "nu.nethome.home.items.tellstick", and the WantedLogLevel to "Fine" and press Apply. After that you select "ApplyLogLevel".

After that, the messages from Tellstick start to appear in the log (the link on the top right corner).

If you can send me the string they send when the WGR800 transmits, I may be able to fix it...
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Thanks! I think its one of these:

Code: Select all

15.05.08 18:08:48 	Tellstick 	Received from Tellstick: +Wclass:sensor;protocol:fineoffset;data:40D0DFFF92;
	15.05.08 18:08:43 	Tellstick 	Received from Tellstick: +Wclass:sensor;protocol:oregon;model:0x1984;data:0174D0C92093025B;
	15.05.08 18:08:42 	Tellstick 	Received from Tellstick: +Wclass:sensor;protocol:oregon;model:0x1A2D;data:4071902170833AFA;
RFXtrx says (in EventGhost):

Code: Select all

18:07:47   RFXtrx.Type: WGR800 id: 28928 ' direction: WNW average speed: 4.0 m/s gust: 2.7 m/s signal: 6 battery: 10%'
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Krambriw, sorry. Didn't see that one yesterday. I think I do, yeah. But I'm home again, and I don't want to mess with anything on the hardware level from here. I have burnt my fingers on that one before... :mrgreen:
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Ok, this was slightly more work than I expected... I had a limitation when receiving Oregon messages via Tellstick, but when I fixed that I discovered that Tellstick actually decodes some Oregon sensors differently (they flip the nybble order), so I had to add code to try both variants when I receive a Oregon message from them. This is now added in the nightly build. There is however not yet any HomeItem for the Wind Meter, do you need one?
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Stefan, sorry, but I don't see it. :( Or is this in a nightly build that isn't up yet? All I need is to see it in the logger of EventGhost, so if that works I'm good. :mrgreen:
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Btw I was able to see that I have version 12 of the firmware, which should be the latest one. :mrgreen:
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Well, as I said, it is kind of difficult to test stuff when I don't have the hardware, but I have added a unit test that verifies that when I get the string you specified in your post, that will result in an event with the correct wind speed (see https://github.com/NetHome/NetHomeServe ... kTest.java). That is about all I can do. I would really have expected that you would have seen the correct event. Could you try to create a TCPCommandPort-Item, connect to that and enter the "subscribe"-command. Then you should be able to verify that you get the event.
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Is that a bit scary to do on remote? I don't want to mess up anything badly, so I think I will wait until I get down there on Wednesday. :mrgreen: