Interest for Z-Wave?

Building and connecting hardware to OpenNethome
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Interest for Z-Wave?

Post by stefangsbb »

I have now implemented a very basic support for Z-Wave in OpenNetHome. The current implementation supports the following use cases and command classes:
  • * Include new node in network
    * Exclude existing node from network
    * Rediscover/Query nodes in network that have been added by some other manager software
    * ZWaveLamp which handles normal lamp switches (Switch Binary Command Class)
    * ZWaveDimmer which handles dimmers and other multi level devices (Switch Multi Level Command Class)
    * ZWaveBlind which handles blinds (Switch Multi Level Command Class)
    * ZWaveMeter which can read meters like power consumption (for example kWh, Meter Command Class)
    * ZWaveMultiLevelSensor which can read all types of general meter values (Multi Level Sensor Command Class)
    * ZWaveRemapButton which can execute actions when "basic set"-commands are sent to master for example by wall switches or remote controls
    * ZWaveCentralSceneRemapButton which can execute actions when "central scene"-commands are sent to master for example by wall switches or remote controls
The current quality is on Alpha level - I have done some basic testing with the devices I currently have, but there are probably a lot of dark corners still.

The biggest thing missing for a more complete support is really the ability to program node parameters and to set node associations to be able to configure the Z-Wave nodes themselves.

It has been quite a lot more work than I had anticipated, so now I wonder how big the interest for Z-Wave really is? I have implemented enough to get by in my own installation right now, but the question is if it is worth the time to continue adding the rest of the features needed for a more complete support? How big is the interest?
Jocke.g

Re: Interest for Z-Wave?

Post by Jocke.g »

I am interested!

Have already bought a razberry and a fibaro wall plug, for a start. Will try it with OpenNetHome in a few days.

I have problems with reach and reliability with nexa, so I plan switching some parts to Z-Wave.

//Jocke
jas

Post by jas »

Sounds interesting!

What hardware is required/supported on the server side?

I'm using Tellstick Duo with Nexa devices, but I also have encountered some reliability issues.
On "must work" switches I have started to use MQTT and ESP8266 based WiFi switches, which have so far been working without any problems.

Anyway, it would be tempting to try some Z-Wave devices, especially those which allow to follow the energy consumption of the connected devices.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

I have tested it with the ZME_UZB1 USB-stick and razberry, but I think that any Z-Wave USB stick should work.
Jocke.g

Post by Jocke.g »

I was going to try out your z-wave implementation, but had absolutely no luck. A small getting-started-guide would be awesome!

I connected my Razberry. Created a ZWaveController. Selected /dev/ttyAMA0 as PortName. Problem is it just keeps saying "State: Disconnected". I guess i'm supposed to write something in the PortAddress box, but I have absolutely no clue what?

//Jocke
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

The problem might be that you still have the z-way server running, so it hogs the port. In that case you can stop it with:

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server stop
The address box should be left empty, it is for connecting to a z-way port on another server and I use that for testing...
Jocke.g

Post by Jocke.g »

Did never install z-way on this pi, I used another one for that.
Jocke.g

Post by Jocke.g »

Checked in the log, and it says the port ttyAMA0 could not be found. So I tried with /dev/ttyUSB0 instead. That is my tellstick port, so it did not work wery well. But interesting is ttyAMA0 dissapered from the list. If i run ls /dev i see there is a ttyAMA0. Is razberry supposed to be this one?
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Well, it depends what version of RPI you have, if you have version 3 it is ttyS0. You may have to add the nethome user to the dialout group to get it to work:

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G dialout nethome
and then restart the server