Can you please add support for Z-Wave locks?

Functionality and usage of the OpenNethome Server
Mastiff

Can you please add support for Z-Wave locks?

Post by Mastiff »

That is if they're not already supported, and I just can't see it. I have a new Z-Wave ID Lock and I see it in the Create/Edit window, as "ZWave Multi Level Switch. But I can't see anything that I can configure as that. Or is it maybe my blindness that's the problem? :mrgreen:
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Re: Can you please add support for Z-Wave locks?

Post by stefangsbb »

I don't think there is any problem with your eyes - I have not added support for Z-Wave locks yet. You are actually the first one who is asking...
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Well, I was the first person the carpenter had ever put up a door for that was going to use a smartlock (the Norwegian built ID Lock), so that's not so strange. They are pretty new on the market with Z-Wave support, at least here. :mrgreen: But is it much work to implement the lock definitions for Z-Wave, or is it doable? Please?

Edit: I really don't feel like going to another solution for Z-Wave, like RaZberry, I have the Tellstick part running perfectly, and I would very much like to keep Z-Wave within the "family". Also I have bought the Z-Stick, and it's a bit late to return it.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

I also want to add more support for Z-Wave, but it is a bit of work, and it did not really feel worth it if no one else was using Z-Wave in OpenNetHome. I will look in to adding support for locks. I cannot promise any delivery time, but hopefully I get some time in the weekend.
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Brilliant, thanks! I've lived for about 50 years, 8 months and two weeks without a remote controlled lock, so I think I can do without it for a bit longer! :mrgreen:
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Hi, Stefan! Have you had a chance to look at this, or is it still uncertain if you're able to/have the time to do this?
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

I have had a look at it. It seems that the Z-Wave alliance have changed their policy, and are releasing much more information now which is good! I did some research and I think I have found enough information to actually write the code.
I am currently quite busy writing on another feature, which is taking up my development bandwidth, so I have not started doing anything on the lock though.
One problem is that I don't have a lock to test with, so it might become a bit difficult for me to test if it works if/when I start to implement it.
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

That sounds very promising! But I'm sure we can work out a way of testing. Is it enough to send me code to test? I am at home most of the time, and with a bit of warning we can have test session with almost no time delay. I can set up a separate automation VM just to run that so it doesn't mess with my production machine. If that isn't enough I can set it up with Team Viewer on that computer and a webcamera on the lock, so you can see what happens with your commands. I'll just have to run through the patio door if there's a fire and you keep locking my door! :lol: :mrgreen:
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Did this turn out to be more difficult than expected? Or just time consuming?
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Actually a bit of both. It seems lock commands require some extra security/authentication and it became a bit complex. Also I have not been working with the Z-Wave stuff for a while and it takes quite a while to pick up all the threads to start on it again.
I have a bit limited time to work on the project and I constantly have ten times more stuff I would like to do - than time to actually do it.

All I can promise is that I will revisit the Z-Wave-area again, and when I do I will for sure look at the locks too.