weird config.xml issue

Functionality and usage of the OpenNethome Server
lassiko

weird config.xml issue

Post by lassiko »

Today there was a weird issue with config.xml. It seems that we had a power outage when i was out from home, and when i came back nothing with Nethome was not working. Normally after power outage, Nethome reboots (running on a Raspi) and things are working OK but not this time.

I did check the logs and it said that config.xml is not well-formed. I checked the config.xml file it was empty... Luckily i had a backup from last night of config which saved me.

Any ideas what happened, so that this could be avoided in future?

Thanks!
Nasty76

Re: weird config.xml issue

Post by Nasty76 »

Hmmm I have once see issue where was maked cristmas lighting and item name contains & mark after reboot nethome say wrong xml.
and weirdest think was nethome work and that lamp called cristmaslight&outlamp work but crash after reboot.

Do you look correct folder that xml?

I have crontab command which copy every Friday xml other folder so I have automatic backup feature.
lassiko

Post by lassiko »

well.. that christmas light issue was mine, and i learned my lessons from there :)

All folders are correct. config.xml was totally empty. But as i said, luckily i had a backup.
Anyhow, if this happens again then i need to study more about the issue.
Nasty76

Post by Nasty76 »

haha hey nice too see old friends here too, which kinda sd cards you use kinstong cards like crash if power cut out , I start use transed card and newer again I don't have messed card, 6-10 months period kinstong cards wanna mess file system.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Post by stefangsbb »

Ahh, that was interesting information. I don't think this is a specific NetHome issue really, the RPi file system seems to be sensitive to power outages sometimes. I have heard from one user who has a NetHome on RPi in his summer house, and he reports that very often when they have power outages, the whole file system of the RPi gets corrupted, so it does not boot again and needs total reinstall of Linux. It was interesting to hear that it might differ between different SD-card brands.
lassiko

Post by lassiko »

NHS has been running now about 1 year in raspi and we have had several power outages, this was first time this happened.
But yes i agree, this is not Nethome issue but a raspi + SD card. Luckily it seems that my SD card can handle the power outages (knocking on wood).

I really need to start thinking of taking a full image backup of my system. At the moment there is much that is controlled by Nethome that when it is down, our home is totally crippled... :shock: