What about this?

Functionality and usage of the OpenNethome Server
krambriw

What about this?

Post by krambriw »

I have earlier been nagging about MQTT and the ever growing importance of IoT.

Recently I have been elaborating with Node-RED (Node.js based) on the Raspberry Pi. It's an amazing frame work with a huge number of available plugins (called nodes) for various hardware and software integration.

Since I already added and integrated a MQTT broker with ONH on the same RPi, it was dead simple to integrate with Node-RED running on another RPi.

I just see a wonderful marriage between the two, leveraging the best of both

If you look at Node-RED you find already support for those Belkin Wemo lamps as well as for Philips HUE. One major advantage with Node-RED besides the huge support for various stuff is the easy straight forward configuration

Nasty76

Re: What about this?

Post by Nasty76 »

Well , i dont want mix many bubblecum patents to run my home. Easy get issue when nothing work and dont have any glue why :) Stefan make awesome job and integrate all cool stuff in native nethome. Ofc if only want play this kinda stuff that is ok but 24/7 use I want all is one place and is tested well. This is only my opinion and nethome users can made own plugins which is simple if know what need to do.example I use owfs server other machine and system work well most of time but if error happens that cause weird issues, example onewire sensor not ready my nethome scream alarm on speakers and tell my fridgerator is 85 degree :) so this need manage somewAy whit own script and not so handy.
krambriw

Re: What about this?

Post by krambriw »

Both yes and no

This was not to criticise Stefan's job, I have no opinion on that, it is his baby and he has it as a hobby project. The purpose was instead to show the wide support for many other things that you may need now but is not (yet) available in ONH

- why would you think that your own software is more stable than others? I'm sure you have made your own bugs and fixed them with a feeling like :oops: but this is also true for larger community projects like Node-RED, they also make bugs and fix them
- you are running on Raspberry Pi, right, so you are as well relying that the operating system and other software you install from net is stable and you have seen that also those gets updated from time to time, partly because of bugs found