Better error log info?

Functionality and usage of the OpenNethome Server
Nasty76

Better error log info?

Post by Nasty76 »

Hey I have one issue which has my mind time to time. or every time when I mess something whit nethome lol.
I get example this line: 15.05.29 23:36:13 RemapButton error,3,Could not find instance specified
ok what I see 29.5.15 some remepitem was missing , but which remap fail and whit instance.
Better way is if log tell what that try run, right?
Still awesome job and maybe log handling is fine and again im noob and not understand something :D
Still I need say nethome is awesome , stable , fast and cheap software. I hope other software depeloper make same quality software what nethome is. Core function work allways like charm which I love. never need worry what if nethome crash etc.
This is not big deal , if you know what cause that but example this time I m totally lost what cause that , I change maybe something but , not realy idea what was that change what I made.
stefangsbb
Site Admin

Re: Better error log info?

Post by stefangsbb »

Thanks for all the nice comments! And it is a lot easier to make it better when I get good feedback on improvements!
The error handling if often a bit cryptic, since it is sometimes easy to forget to give all needed context for the user to understand the message when you are deep in the implementation. I have improved the error message for this case now so it says:

Code: Select all

15.06.07 11:37:39	RemapButton	TestButton could not execute command: 'call,92,toggle' (error,3,Could not find instance specified)
At least this tells you which RemapButton failed, and gives a hint on what it failed with, even though it is still a bit technical. It will be in the next nightly build.
Nasty76

Re: Better error log info?

Post by Nasty76 »

Awesome work again this help me alot. Thanks